BE Group History
BE Group has its roots in Sweden and Finland, where Bröderna Edstrand and Starckjohann & Co were founded at the end of the 19th century.
In 1868, Starckjohann & Co was founded by Peter Starckjohann in Viborg, Finland.
In 1885, Bröderna Edstrand was founded by Hans and Jöns Edstrand in Malmö, Sweden.
Both of the companies are trading companies active in their national markets. Bröderna Edstrand initially also sell products like bricks, paper and technical oils, but over the years, business is increasingly concentrated on steel and metals.
In 1937, Bröderna Edstrand inaugurates the group’s head office on Spadegatan in Malmö.
At the beginning of the 1960s, Bröderna Edstrand is a corporate group with around 2,500 employees and the company is listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange in 1974.
In 1976, Starckjohann takes the first steps in what we call production service today.
In 1979, Bröderna Edstrand have sales in excess of SEK 1 billion for the first time.
In 1988, Bröderna Edstrand is acquired by Trelleborg AB and after four generations of ownership, the Edstrand family leaves the company.
In the 1990s, the company establishes units in Denmark, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. In parallel, Starckjohann Steel expands through the acquisition of the company Mercantile and establishment in Estonia.
In 1999, Nordic Capital becomes the majority shareholder in Bröderna Edstrand and Starckjohann Steel. The two companies, including subsidiaries in the countries around the Baltic Sea, now form one group.
In the 21st century, the Group’s European expansion continues with establishments in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
In 2004, Trelleborg sells its remaining shares in the Group.
In 2006, BE Group’s share is relisted on the Stockholm Stock Exchange and the Group takes the mutual name BE Group AB.
In 2008, BE Group forms, together with ArcelorMittal, the joint venture ArcelorMittal BE Group SSC AB.
In 2010, the Group acquires Lecor Stålteknik in Kungälv.
In 2016 – 2018, the Group exits the operations in Czech Republic, Slovakia and Eskilstuna in Sweden.
In 2017, 80 years after the opening of the office at Spadegatan, the Group moves the head office to Krangatan in Malmö.